Fishing With Grandpa

When time has passed us by so quickly you begin to remember all the good times we spent as a child. One of my fondest memories is going fishing with my Grandfather. Grandpa wasn't much of a talker unless he had a few beers in him to loosen up a little.



We would start are morning around 5AM. (and now that I bowfish we start around 5pm LAZY DAYS) Grandma would prepare us a large breakfast of eggs, bacon, potatoes, and toast. Every fishing trip needs a hearty meal before departing the house. As this was done on every fishing trip.

We would drive to my great Grandmothers house about thirty minutes away and load up the boat with are tackle and fishing poles. Then drive about another twenty minutes to are favorite fishing lake. Now that I'm older I guess it was are favorite fishing lake since it was close to home.

Grandpa was busy driving the boat at the same time making sure I was tying my fishing hook and swivel properly as I was shown by him before. I think the smile on his face was the approval that I needed to continue my task of getting ready for the day. As I've mentioned earlier Grandpa wasn't much of a talker, but his body language spoke load and clear.

Baiting are hooks with a simple night crawler we started fishing.  By mid morning we had about ten or so trout on the fishing stringer. Grandpa reached in the ice chest and grabbed a cold beer for himself and a ice cold coke for me. I was to busy getting my monster fourteen inch brook trout off of my fishing hook. Now I know it is not a trophy fish but when your six years old it sure felt like it back then. After my fish was on the stringer tied to the back of the boat I got my cold soda as a reward for the fight that I had just won. Looking back on that one fishing memory it wasn't the cold soda that was my reward but the smile that Grandpa gave me in my success as a fellow fisherman.

This story made my Grandfather not so shy when he was around his neighbors. He always looked at me proud when he told are story of the biggest fish of the day. Mind you it was caught by his little fishing buddy. The approval from Grandpa lives with me when I pass that same smile to my children when I take them fishing down the local bayou. Sharing everything that I learned from Grandpa with my own children.

I'll be busy bowfishing with my grandchildren instead!
More action and always on the move.

No comments:

Post a Comment